Milton, Vermont's Jean-Paul Cyr became the fifth different ACT Tour winner in as many events Saturday night at Maine's Oxford Plains Speedway. Cyr started on the pole of the Maine-ly Action Sports 100 and led the entire event before a huge crowd at the 3/8ths mile oval. Even though he maintained the advantage for all 100 laps, he wasn't without challengers. Twelve caution periods gave several drivers a chance at the defending ACT Tour champion but none were able to take advantage of the restarts.

Crossing the line second in the unofficial finish was one of Cyr's strongest challengers, Roger Brown from Lancaster, NH. Brown, a former rookie of the year, lined up alongside Cyr on several late race restarts, had the fans on their feet as he put his Ford on the outside of Cyr's Chevrolet. The second groove had started working for the youngster, as he was able to best local favorite Steve Reny of Boothbay, ME to claim second using the high side. Unfortunately for Brown he was unable to have the same fortune against Cyr.
Jamie Fisher from Shelburne, VT, finished third after starting 20th. Attrition helped Fisher, a former champion at Thunder Road Speedbowl in Barre, VT, and others, to move up through the field. Completing the top five were Billy Childs of Leeds, ME, a regular competitor at the Oxford speedplant in fourth and Dave Wilcox from Swanton, VT. Childs had started 19th and Wilcox came from 36th in 41-car field.
Cyr and Eric Chase, also from Milton, VT started on the front row by virtue of their "plus six" handicaps earned by improving their starting positions that number of places in their qualifying heats. Former ACT Tour Champion, Phil Scott from Montpelier, VT and Strafford, New Hampshire's Mike Collins occupied the second row, each with a "plus five." Collins, a weekly racer at Lee USA Speedway in Lee, NH is testing the ACT Tour waters in preparation for one of ACT's "ACTion Super Series" races at his home track in September. Former Oxford Late Model Champion, Shawn Martin of Turner, ME, and Brown started in the third row. At the drop of the green, Cyr and Chase set a blistering pace for the first several circuits. On the fifth lap, Chase and Martin collided on the backstretch with another car, which tore off the fuel pump on Chase's car, which caused it to erupt in flames.
The race was immediately stopped and rescue equipment dispatched to the scene. Chase was able to get out of his car without injury although his Chevrolet was out of competition for the race. The incident also retired Martin and Shawn Parker of Avon, MA from the event.
When competition resumed Phil Scott moved into the position of Cyr pursuer. The former champions battled for some 50 laps but Scott was never able to gain an edge. On the 59th circuit, Brown got by Scott and set off after the leader for first time in the race. A couple of cautions kept the field close together but with Reny in his rearview mirror, Brown had to change from an offensive posture to a defensive one. Reny passed Brown with 30 laps remaining only to have the favor returned 13 laps later.
Cyr stretched his advantage to several car lengths as all eyes focused on the battle for the runner-up spot. A caution on the 80th lap, for point leader David Pembroke's blown engine, allowed Milton, Vermont's Brent Dragon and David Bath from Arundel, ME to join the battle behind the leader which also included a pair of Vermont drivers, Rich Lowrey from Charlotte and Williamstown's Cooper MacRitchie, the 2005 winner of the recent VT Governor's Cup race.
In a quest for the same piece of real estate, Lowrey and MacRitchie, who had been racing for position for several laps, came into contact with each other in the second turn on the 93rd lap. The spin by the pair, running sixth and seventh at the time, slowed the race and reeled Cyr in for the pack one more time. One lap later, second place Reny and Dragon, who had lined up behind him in fourth on the restart, brought out the final caution, which sent the pair to the rear of the field.
Finishing sixth was NH driver Collins, Doug Coombs, Ken Dufour, rookie Scott Payea and Lowrey, who rebounded from his late race spin, rounded out the top ten.
The ACT Tour takes a week off before traveling to the one-third mile Seekonk Speedway in Seekonk, MA. Post time for the Bay Sate 100 is 6:00pm.