Contributed by: ACT Staff
Even though the two young guns were the only drivers to lead the touring Series’ seventh race of the season, several others attempted to challenge the pair for the lead which had the Seekonk fans on their feet as positions switched back and forth. The contenders included Vermont drivers, Brent Dragon of Milton, and Shelburne’s Jamie Fisher, as well as Joey Polewarczy from Hudson, NH as well as those who finished among the top ten.
Former ACT Tour Champion, Phil Scott from Middlesex, VT pushed the nose of his Ford across the stripe to finish second in his best outing of the year. Pembroke was third by a paint job. Completing the top five finishers were Dragon and local favorite, Ryan Vanasse from nearby Warwick, RI.
“It’s been a long time,” 27 year-old Brown, who is known in the racing circles as “The Rocketman,” stated in Victory Lane. “We finally sealed the deal! All of the other times, when I’ve had a good car, some thing broke (on it), I’d get caught up in someone else’s problem or I’d do something stupid, but not this time. The crew gave me a great car and the lapped traffic was the best it’s ever been, gave us plenty of room,” he finished. The 2003 ACT Tour Rookie of the Year’s previous victory came at Waterford (CT) Speedbowl in 2004.
Scott, who celebrated his 48th birthday on August 4, has been experiencing an resurgence in recent events. In addition to racing the 11 event ACT Tour, the Vermont State Senator also competes on a weekly basis at Barre, Vermont’s Thunder Road Int’l Speedbowl where he’s posted top finishes. “I love racing here,” the runner-up said, “It’s one of the greatest facilities racing wise.” The proof was in the pudding as the ACT Tour competitors circled the 1/3 mile oval two and three cars wide. (PHOTO BELOW: The top three finishers (left to right) third place Dave Pembroke, winner Roger Brown and runne-up Phil Scott).
Ray Parent from Tiverton, RI finished sixth in his second career ACT start, and 63 year-old Joey Laquerre from E. Montpelier, VT was seventh. Rounding out the top ten were Turner, Maine’s Ben Rowe in eighth, Mark Lamberton from Mooers Forks, NY and A.J. Begin from Merrimac, MA.
Jean-Paul Cyr from Milton, VT, the ACT Tour point leader entering the race maintains his position atop the points although his advantage has been cut from 66 points to an unofficial 38. He struggled to a 16th place finish at Seekonk. Pembroke’s third place moves him into second in the standings while fourth place finisher Dragon occupies third.
Six minor incidents slowed the Bay State 100 to a 42 minute pace, one of the fastest events in recent memory. Thirty Late Models started the event with 23 still in competition when the checkered flag flew.
The ACT Tour competitors next head to the ¼ mile White Mountain Motorsports Park speedplant in N. Woodstock, NH on Saturday, (August 12) for the Kancamaugus 150. Post time is 5:00 pm.
The official finish of the ACT LATE MODEL TOUR'S RACE #7 - The BAYSTATE 100,
Seekonk Speedway - August 5, 2006
Finish, (Start), Driver, Hometown, Car, Laps, Tech Report
1. (1), Roger Brown II, Lancaster, NH, Ford Fusion, 100, Running
2. (9), Phil Scott, Middlesex, VT, Ford Fusion, 100, Running
3. (2), Dave Pembroke, Montpelier, VT, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
4. (6), Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, Dodge Charger, 100, Running
5. (5), Ryan Vanasse, Warwick, RI, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
6. (11), Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
7. (12), Joey Laquerre, E. Montpelier, VT, Pontiac Grand Prix, 100, Running
8. (7), Ben Rowe, Turner, ME, Dodge Charger, 100, Running
9. (21), Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, NY, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
10. (15), A.J. Begin, Merrimac, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
11. (4), Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
12. (20), Scott Payea, Milton, VT, Ford Fusion, 100, Running
13. (14), Ryan Nolin, Georgia, VT, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
14. (23), Mark Anzalone Jr., Malden, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
15. (8), Marc Curtis Jr., Worcester, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
16. (19), Jean Paul Cy, Milton, VT, Chevrolet Monte Carlo , 100, Running
17. (16), Steve Reny, Boothbay, ME, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
18. (17), Bobby Baillargeon, Nottingham, NH, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 100, Running
19. (24), Michael Jurkowski, Claremont, NH, Ford Taurus, 100, Running
20. (3), Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 99, Running
21. (26), Kevin Casper, Somerset, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 99, Running
22. (18), Steve Fisher, Shelburne, VT, Dodge Charger, 98, Running
23. (25), Matt Dusenberry, Marblehead, MA, Dodge Intrepid, 98, Running
24. (10), Allen Coates, Ledyard, CT, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 96, Out
25. (13), Charlie Rousseau, Ipswitch, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 68, Out
26. (22), Paul Newcomb, Jr., Ryantville, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 26 Out
27. (29), Steve Dumas, Brockton, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 6, Out
28. (28), Mark Hudson, Norton, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 6, Out
29. (30), Steve Potter, Warwick, RI, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1, Out
30. (27), David Titus, Taunton, MA, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1, Out
Time of Race: 42 Minutes 52 Second
Margin of Victory: 3 Car lengths
Cautions: 6; Laps 15, 30, 52, 68, 92, 97
Lead Changes: 2 between 2 drivers
Lap Leaders: Roger Brown 1-9, David Pembroke 10-29, Brown 30-100
FOR UPDATED POINTS (UNOFFICIAL) PLEASE CLICK STANDINGS AT UPPER LEFT