Contributed by: ACT Staff
Stock car driver Fred Schroeder won a special two-segment feature race for the Power Shift Online Junkyard Warrior division at Barre, VT’s Thunder Road Int’l Speedbowl on Saturday afternoon (May 24) to open the 46th Annual Mekkelsen RV Memorial Day Classic weekend. Schroeder, of Bristol, VT, took his first career win over South Burlington, VT’s Mike Gay and Waterbury, VT’s Neal Foster.
Schroeder drove his Tuck’s Repair/Ladies Workout Express #12 Dodge Spirit to finishes of fourth and third in the two 8-lap segments, for combined low total score of 7. Gay’s Green Image Landscape/Power Shift #30 Mazda 323 posted finishes of third and sixth for a total of 9 points, while Foster drove his self-sponsored #19 Volkswagen Golf to finishes of ninth and first for a total of 10 points. Travis Hull of Graniteville (11 points) and Jamie Davis of Wolcott (11 points) rounded out the unofficial top-five finishers.
The American-Canadian Tour Championship Late Models and open-wheel True Value Modifieds will hold a historic twin-100 doubleheader at Thunder Road on Sunday. Modifieds have been absent from Thunder Road since 1965. More than 20 True Value Modified Racing Series cars from seven states practiced at Thunder Road on Saturday, with more anticipated to arrive on Sunday. Over 30 ACT Late Models from the northeastern U.S. and Canada were on hand Saturday, along with car from Thunder Road’s weekly NAPA Tiger Sportsman and Allen Lumber Street Stock divisions, in addition to the Warrior class.
Post time for the 46th Annual Mekkelsen RV Memorial Day Classic is 1:30pm on Sunday (May 25). General admission is only $20 for adults, $5 for children (6-12), and just $40 for a family of any two adults and two kids. For more information, call (802) 244-6963 or visit www.thunderroadspeedbowl.com or www.acttour.com.
UNOFFICIAL FINISH – Power Shift Online Junkyard Warriors
Thunder Road Int’l Speedbowl – Barre, VT – Sat., May 24, 2008
46th Annual Mekkelsen RV Memorial Day Classic weekend
Pos. – Car No. – Driver – Hometown – Segment Pts.
1. 12 Fred Schroeder, Bristol, VT – 7 pts.
2. 30 Mike Gay, South Burlington, VT – 9 pts.
3. 19 Neal Foster, Waterbury, VT – 10 pts.
4. 66 Travis Hull, Graniteville, VT – 11 pts.
5. 43 Jamie Davis, Wolcott, VT – 11 pts.
6. 05 Donny Yates, North Montpelier, VT – 13 pts.
7. 04 Scott Weston, Berlin, VT – 13 pts.
8. 11 Del Jarvis, Barre, VT – 14 pts.
9. 22 Mike Ducey, Williamstown, VT – 15 pts.
10. 59 Dale Bickford, Lyndonville, VT – 16 pts.
11. 80 Bryan Nykiel, Berlin, VT – 17 pts.
12. 52 Lance Donald, Williamstown, VT – 21 pts.
13. 0 Loren Bleau, Milton, VT – 25 pts.