Serie ACT Castrol Season Opener
Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM EDT
Contributed by: ACT Staff
Allard Steals Série ACT Castrol Opener at Montmagny
Former Serie ACT Castrol Champion Karl Allard, of St. Félicien, QC claimed the victory in the season opening event at Autodrome Montmagny in Montmagny, QC on Saturday, May 26. He had to earn it by fending off two-time and defending Série ACT Castrol Champion Patrick Laperle, and early leader Jean-François Déry who finished third.
The early part of the race was led by Jonathan Desbiens from the pole starting position until the second caution of the event on lap 9. Déry then flew to the point and dominated the race, multiple car lengths ahead of the field at times, and looked like the car to beat. Meanwhile, Allard and Laperle picked their way through the field from 13th and 16th respectively over the first three-quarters of the event.
A lap 75 caution brought the challenge from former champs Laperle and Allard, and Déry was outdueled by Allard for the win at the restart. David Michaud came home fourth, and former champ Donald Theetge came back from a flat tire to finish fifth. Dany Trepanier, Patrick Cliche, Desbiens, Gaetan Lauzier and Eric LeHoux completed the top ten.
A brutal wreck on lap 46 of the race demolished the hopes of rookie Etienne Cliché, who started the race from the outside pole, as well as sophomore talent Patrick Hamel when a multi car spin on a restart left their cars mangled on the front stretch. The rest of the field escaped the danger of seven cautions to complete the race in 56 minutes and 33 seconds, leaving 14 of the 23 car starting field left on the lead lap.
With his victory, Allard has earned the fourth invite to the ACT Bond Auto Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 22. He joins ACT U.S. winners Brian Hoar, Wayne Helliwell, Jr. and Ben Ashline.
Série ACT Castrol will continue their 2012 season when they head to Autodrome St-Eustache in St-Eustache, QC next Saturday, June 2. Post time is 6:00pm.
Serie ACT Castrol
Autodrome Montmagny - Montmagny, QC
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (13) Karl Allard, Saint-Félicien, QC, 100 Laps
2. (16) Patrick Laperle, St-Denis, QC, 100 Laps
3. (7) Jean-François Déry, Quebec, QC, 100 Laps
4. (15) David Michaud, St-An-des-Plns, QC, 100 Laps
5. (17) Donald Theetge, Boischatel, QC, 100 Laps
6. (12) Dany Trepanier, St-Edouard, QC, 100 Laps
7. (14) Patrick Cliche, St-Jean-Chry., QC, 100 Laps
8. (1) Jonathan Desbiens, Levis, QC, 100 Laps
9. (10) Gaetan Lauzier, St-Cyprien, QC, 100 Laps
10. (21) Eric LeHoux, St-Elzear,QC, 100 Laps
11. (6) Marc Beaudoin, St-Anne, QC, 100 Laps
12. (9) Jonathan Bouvrette, Blainville, QC, 100 Laps
13. (11) Claude Leclerc, Lanoraie, QC, 100 Laps
14. (22) Gaetan Gaudreault, Quebec, QC, 100 Laps
15. (19) Yannick Tremblay, Chicoutimi, QC, 99 Laps
16. (20) Patrick Boyer, Quebec, QC, 64 Laps
17. (4) Jean-Pierre Ouimet, Terrebonne, QC, 46 Laps
18. (5) Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 45 Laps
19. (2) #Etienne Cliche, Vallee-Jonction, QC, 45 Laps
20. (18) Patrick Hamel, Sainte-Croix, QC, 45 Laps
21. (8) Maxime Pelletier, Mascouche, QC, 9 Laps
22. (3) Eric Giguere, St-Georges, QC, 6 Laps
23. (23) Jacques Poulin, East Broughton, QC, 2 Laps
Lap Leaders: Jonathan Desbiens (1-9), Jean-François Déry (10-74), Karl Allard (75-100)
Time of Race: 56:33
Margin of Victory: .549 seconds
Cautions: 7 (Lap 7, 9, 45, 45, 50, 54, 74)
Heat Winners: Etienne Cliche, Jean-Francois Dery, Claude Leclerc
Consi Winners: Patrick Laperle