Polewarczyk Steals Victory at Canaan
Hudson, NH’s Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., shocked reigning American Canadian Tour and Canaan Late Model Champion Wayne Helliwell, Jr., in the closing laps of the ACT 150 at Canaan Fair Speedway on Saturday, June 15, picking up his first ACT victory since October of 2011. Turner, ME’s Glen Luce completed the all-Ford podium.
Helliwell dominated for most of the race while engaging in a close battle with points leader Jimmy Hebert early on. Hebert looked stout in second place until a heart-breaking malfunction took him off the pace until a lap 22 caution flag allowed him to head down pit road. Hebert had already battled a fever earlier in the week, and a transmission failure in practice, as his team worked and got his car back out on the track.
Helliwell continued to fend off attempts from Luce and Milton, VT’s Brent Dragon as he endured 12 caution periods in the 150-lap event. Polewarczyk worked through the field methodically, climbing into the top five with 50 laps to go. As the end drew near, Polewarczyk turned it on in the high lane, charging into second place until a lap 131 caution flag set up the fight to the finish.
When the green dropped, Helliwell had met his match as Polewarczyk powered past the 14-time Canaan victor and to his first win of the season. Helliwell finished just behind him, with Glen Luce, Luke Hinkley, and Dragon rounding out the top five.
“This race was all about positioning ourselves for the win,” said Polewarczyk in victory lane. “As the end came I went to the outside and it just worked. It is so great to be back in victory lane,” he finished.
Helliwell was still pleased with second.
“We gave it our best shot today, we just didn’t have it,” said Helliwell. “Hats off to Joey and them today, they ran a great race.”
Glen Luce was thrilled to grab the podium finish in his first visit to Canaan.
“Today was my first time here ever. I love the place!” said Luce.
Aaron Fellows, Ray Parent, and Nick Sweet finished sixth, seventh, and eighth respectively. Hebert made a miraculous recovery to finish ninth, and Chip Grenier rounded out the top ten.
The race took 1 hour 28 minutes and 17 seconds to complete.
Joey Polewarczyk’s win qualifies him for the Bond Auto ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 21st. He joins Brian Hoar, Jimmy Hebert, Wayne Helliwell, Derrick O’Donnell, and Jean-Francois Dery.
The American Canadian Tour will be back in action next Saturday, June 22 for a 150-lap event at White Mountain Motorsports Park in North Woodstock, NH.
American Canadian Tour 150 Unofficial Results
Canaan Fair Speedway – Canaan, NH
Saturday, June 15, 2013
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (11) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
2. (1) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
3. (5) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 150 Laps
4. (8) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 150 Laps
5. (3) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 150 Laps
6. (14) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH, 150 Laps
7. (7) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
8. (6) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 150 Laps
9. (2) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
10. (10) Chip Grenier, Graniteville, VT, 150 Laps
11. (22) #Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
12. (18) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 150 Laps
13. (4) #Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 150 Laps
14. (13) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 150 Laps
15. (26) Ben Lynch, Huntersville, NC, 150 Laps
16. (9) Ricky Bly, Sunapee, NH, 150 Laps
17. (23) Allen Fellows, Croyden, NH, 150 Laps
18. (21) Pat Floyd, Chester, NH, 150 Laps
19. (24) Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 150 Laps
20. (27) Jimmy Linardy, Somerville, MA, 149 Laps
21. (28) Matt Anderson, Franklin, NH, 148 Laps
22. (25) Tyler Alati, Franklin, NH, 148 Laps
23. (29) #Joey M. Laquerre, E. Montpelier, VT, 142 Laps
24. (15) Scotty MacMichael, Newbury, NH, 129 Laps
25. (20) Donnie Lashua, Canaan, NH, 111 Laps
26. (16) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 86 Laps
27. (12) Rich Dubeau, Plainfield, NH, 33 Laps
28. (17) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 28 Laps
29. (19) Guy Caron, Lempster, NH, 28 Laps
Lap Leaders: Wayne Helliwell, Jr., 1-39; Glen Luce, 40; Helliwell, 41-88; Luce, 89; Helliwell, 90-132; Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. 133-150.
Time of Race: 1:28:17
Margin of Victory: .294 seconds
Cautions: 12 (laps 12, 22, 25, 28, 33, 39, 49, 59, 86, 87, 92, 131)
Heat Winners: Chip Grenier, Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Glen Luce, Nick Sweet
Consi Winners: Kyle Welch, Donnie Lashua