Polewarczyk Makes It Two In A Row
Hudson, NH’s Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., grabbed his second straight American Canadian Tour victory in the ACT 150 at Groveton, NH’s Riverside Speedway on Sunday, June 23, beating reigning Champion Wayne Helliwell, Jr., and sophomore driver Jimmy Hebert.
The race was a rain makeup from earlier in the month, and began on Sunday with 29 laps complete. Steuben, ME’s Rowland Robinson, Jr., reassumed the lead from Hebert early on and stubbornly battled with Helliwell during several restarts. An early caution sent Hebert’s car spinning, pulling him from second to the rear of the field. It would be the second race in a row Hebert would have to fight from the back after mechanical struggles at Canaan a week ago.
Midway through the event, Helliwell powered to the lead on the outside only to engage in a battle with hometown hero Randy Potter. Potter got by the reigning Champion, and paced the field until Polewarczyk broke through the pack, storming by the top five in the late stages of the race and laying claim to his second ACT victory in eight days.
“This is a huge victory for us,” said Polewarczyk in victory lane. “To win one race on the ACT Tour is tough, but to win back-to-back is just what we needed to chase down this championship. It’s good to be winning races again,” he finished.
“Hats off to Joey again. That team has really come to life, and now we’ve finished second to them two weeks in a row,” said Helliwell, who came into the event as the series point leader. “I’m still very happy with our results today.”
North Haverhill, NH’s Derrick O’Donnell finished fourth, followed by Graniteville, VT’s Chip Grenier, who also recovered from an early spin. Brent Dragon drove his way to sixth, follow by Glen Luce, who had substitute driver Ben Rowe take the green flag on the original date on June 2. Corey Mason, ACT Rookie of the Year leader Bobby Therrien, and Todd Davis completed the top ten finishers.
The race was completed in one hour, five minutes, and thirty-seven seconds, and was slowed by nine caution periods.
Polewarczyk is already qualified for the Bond Auto ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 21. Other qualifiers include Derrick O’Donnell, Brian Hoar, Jimmy Hebert, Wayne Helliwell, and Jean-Francois Dery.
ACT’s next stop will be on Saturday, July 6, when the Tour returns to Star Speedway in Epping, NH for a 150-lap event.
American Canadian Tour 150 Unofficial Results
Riverside Speedway – Groveton, NH
Sunday, June 23
Fin. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (12) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
2. (4) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
3. (1) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
4. (20) #Derrick O'Donnell, N. Haverhill, NH, 150 Laps
5. (8) Chip Grenier, Graniteville, VT, 150 Laps
6. (6) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 150 Laps
7. (16) Ben Rowe, Turner, ME, 150 Laps
8. (26) Corey Mason, Groveton, NH, 150 Laps
9. (25) #Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
10. (19) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 150 Laps
11. (2) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 150 Laps
12. (7) Quinten Welch, Lancaster, NH, 150 Laps
13. (9) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 149 Laps
14. (10) Ben Lynch, Huntersville, NC, 149 Laps
15. (21) #Joey M. Laquerre, E. Montpelier, VT, 149 Laps
16. (13) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 149 Laps
17. (5) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 149 Laps
18. (11) Mike Kenison, Lancaster, NH, 149 Laps
19. (14) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 149 Laps
20. (22) Luke Shannon, Groveton, NH, 149 Laps
21. (27) Jimmy Linardy, Somerville, MA, 147 Laps
22. (3) Randy Potter, Groveton, NH, 135 Laps
23. (17) Bryan Mason, Stark, NH, 118 Laps
24. (15) Brandon Lambert, Colebrook, NH, 48 Laps
25. (18) David Michaud, St-Anne des Plaines,QC, 29 Laps
26. (23) Paul Schartner, Jr., Lyndon, VT, 29 Laps
27. (28) Mike Bailey, South Barre, VT, 28 Laps
28. (24) Shawn Knight, South Paris, ME, 28 Laps
29. (29) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 15 Laps
Lap Leaders: Rowland Robinson, Jr., 1-29; Jimmy Hebert, 30; Robinson, 31-48; Wayne Helliwell, Jr., 49-50; Robinson, 51-53; Helliwell, 54; Robinson, 55; Helliwell, 56-75; Randy Potter, 76-81; Helliwell, 82-89; Potter, 90-111; Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., 112-150.
Time of Race: 1:05:37
Margin of Victory: 6 car lengths
Cautions: 9 (laps 29(rain), 33, 48, 56, 68, 75, 82, 88, 92)
Heat Winners: Ben Lynch, Mike Kenison, Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.
Consi Winners: Nick Sweet