Contributed by: ACT Staff
Joey Polewarcyzk, Jr. Takes Three Straight with Star Win
Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. of Hudson, NH became just the third driver to win three American Canadian Tour Late Model point counting events in a row with his victory at Star Speedway on Saturday, July 6. Polewarczyk joins Ben Rowe (2006) and Gary Caron (1995) as the only three straight ACT Late Model winners.Polewarczyk and fellow New Hampshire native Wayne Helliwell, Jr. put on a show for their hometown fans for the majority of the event. Helliwell took over the lead on lap 53 and just over 10 laps later Polewarczyk arrived at his back bumper from his 9th starting position. Over the next 70 laps, the duo held the top two spots as they battled for the win. Helliwell protected the outside groove and kept the momentum off the corners as Polewarczyk fought for every inch on the inside. Polewarczyk caught the break he needed as the final caution flag flew on lap 135.
Polewarczyk started on the outside of Helliwell and drove it deep into turn one on the restart. Helliwell pulled even out off turn two and the pair barreled down the backstretch. Both drivers got loose through turn four and nearly spun out in front of the field. Polewarczyk regained control and took the lead for good. Eddie MacDonald used the dust up to his advantage as well as he got around Helliwell to claim the runner-up spot.
Todd Davis earned a hard fought fourth place finish after running in the top three for the majority of the day, while Rowland Robinson, Jr. completed the top five. Veteran ACT driver Brent Dragon, Ben Lynch, Ray Parent, Jimmy Hebert and Chip Grenier rounded out the top ten.
Polewarczyk has hit mid-season stride at the right time as the stars of ACT prepare for the $25,000-to-win ACT International 500 at Airborne Speedway in Plattsburgh, NY on Sunday, July 21. The event boasts a purse of over $140,000 for Late Model teams from all over the Northeast and Eastern Canada in a unique three segment, 100 laps each, format.
The second half of the ACT Late Model Tour season begins next weekend with event #8 of 14 at White Mountain Motorsports Park in North Woodstock, NH on Saturday, July 13.
ACT Star 150 Unofficial Results
American Canadian Tour
Star Speedway – Epping, NH
Saturday, July 6, 2013
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (9) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
2. (14) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 150 Laps
3. (4) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
4. (3) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 150 Laps
5. (6) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 150 Laps
6. (13) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 150 Laps
7. (5) Ben Lynch, Huntersville, NC, 150 Laps
8. (1) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
9. (7) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
10. (11) Chip Grenier, Graniteville, VT, 150 Laps
11. (10) #Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
12. (16) #Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 150 Laps
13. (2) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 150 Laps
14. (8) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 150 Laps
15. (17) Pat Floyd, Chester, NH, 133 Laps
16. (12) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 127 Laps
17. (15) #Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 115 Laps
18. (18) Jimmy Linardy, Somerville, MA, 70 Laps
19. (19) Laine Chase, Beverly, MA, 63 Laps
Lap Leaders: Ray Parent, 1-50; Todd Davis, 51-52; Wayne Helliwell, Jr., 53-117; Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., 118; Helliwell, 119-125; Polewarczyk, 126; Helliwell, 127-136; Polewarczyk, 137-150.
Time of Race: 1:02:35
Margin of Victory: .882 seconds
Cautions: 6 (laps 52, 54, 60, 64, 128, 135)
Heat Winners: Jimmy Hebert, Nick Sweet
Consi Winners: Glen Luce