TOP 10 REASONS TO BE EXCITED ABOUT THE ACT INTERNATIONAL‘’500”
(next week leading up to the ‘500’ weekend there will be the final three ‘top ten’ reasons to be excited about this event ---one of the top 10 will be from the self-proclaimed know-it-all ‘odds maker’ ‘Boritus’ (slickapedia meaning): ‘has no clue, facts, or class, but claims to be the know-it-all about just about everything in short track---in FACT, look for some big rig driver in everyone’s way out of his lane traveling down the highway with a rather rotund, balding, beady- eyed look and you will recognize “Boritus”) ---this 500 Fever top 10 article will highlight the entry list and pick some potential winners!!
# 4. PURSES/BONUS PLANS
$140,000.00 ---- that about says it all. The posted purse and various bonus money for the ACT International 500 is by far the richest awards posted in the 28 years of ACT racing. This inaugural 500 event will be one of the richest single day short track race events in the country.
I have tried to encourage lots of teams to ‘give it a shot’, as I believe a race like this can be fun for two different groups of racers: A) the teams who love to practice and then camp and party, and then race!; B) Teams who like the idea of having a really big one day event, watch their budgets, and hope to cover the majority of their expenses with a decent finish and just show up on race day…. (This was exactly how Bob Bahre built the Oxford 250. I have great memories of running many NASCAR National Championship double point 150 lap events at Catamount Stadium in the late 70’s, into the 80’s, when we would conclude the races at Catamount around midnight. The next day (morning) heading across the mountain to Oxford you would see lots of haulers along the roadside. Guys like Butch Lindley, Bob Pressley, Gene Glover, Bill Dennis and many more who were chasing NASCAR National Championship points saw this as a chance to pick up double points in back-to-back shows ---- the ‘250’ was run just like a regular Oxford race back then, only with an extra 100 or 150 laps!!! That one day format still makes a lot of sense, and that is why the International 500 is based on a one day format of racing to try and encourage teams to ‘catch the golden ring’ and control their expenses)
We have talked earlier in the top 10 about the ‘500’ format. I believe the format we have come up with provides lots more teams a chance for perhaps great success than a ‘normal’ long distance race on the Tour might normally provide...
· MODIFIED TWIN 50 Lap Features ---combine the two features and have an overall winner…the posted Purse is over $21,000.00.
· RESERVE FEATURE ----this is for those who miss qualifying for the main event. A 100 lap feature for the ACT Late Model teams who fail to make the 300. No 15 or 20 lap ‘B’-Feature, this is 100 laps which will pay $3,000 to win…$400 for 30th.
THE 300 LAPS OF THE ACT INTERNATIONAL will have the following:
· VP C9 POWER POLE award----sit on the pole and receive $1,000 from VP Racing Fuels
· LAP LEADER AWARD--- $50 posted for every lap that is led, except the half-way of ALL THREE 100 lap SEGMENTS.
· GOODYEAR HALF-WAY awards-----For each of the 100 lap segments, the person leading at the half way of each will receive a bonus of $1000 for those laps!!!
· BOND AUTO ACT INVITATIONAL QUALIFIER----The New Hampshire International Speedway has posted a $500 bonus for the team that wins the event if they enter and participate in the BOND AUTO INVITATIONAL at NHMS on Saturday, September 21.
· FORD RACING BONUS---A $500 bonus will be given by Ford to the winner of the event if they are driving a Ford S347JR sealed engine.
· CJ HARD CHARGER AWARD--- $200 to the team that gains the most positions in feature event.
This is going to be a fan’s race. With three starts and three finishes, the racing will be exciting from start to finish. No time to stroke it here…save your tires --- you are probably giving up any chances to win. The money for laps alone will set a torrid pace.
Catch the ‘500’ FEVER as a fan and as a racer….It’s getting close to high temperature!!!
NEXT UP— # 3 MODIFIED TWIN 50’s
MISS #5??? CLICK HERE