Wayne Helliwell, Jr. Completes ACT Devil’s Bowl Sweep
Wayne Helliwell, Jr. of Dover, NH completed his sweep of the American Canadian Tour events at Devil’s Bowl Speedway on Sunday, July 28. Helliwell backed up his Spring Green win in May with a win in the St. Jude Children’s Hospital 150.
Helliwell had to battle both Tiverton, Rhode Island’s Ray Parent and weather on his way to the win. The Helliwell/Parent duo swapped the lead a total of six times over the first 93 laps. The outside lane seemed like the lane of choice as the second place driver got the advantage on the majority of the restarts.
The event was red flagged with 93 laps complete due to rain. After an over 20 minute rain delay the racing resumed with Parent at the point. Following another caution with 104 laps completed, Helliwell took over the lead for good. Parent settled in to second until he abruptly slowed up on lap 146. He had to pit to fill up with gas and returned for the restart and remained on the lead lap.
Travis Stearns inherited second after a week of long hours putting his Richard Green Trucking car back together after a hard wreck in the ACT International 500. Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. came from 11th on the field to complete the podium in third. Glen Luce ran up front all day and took fourth, while Bobby Therrien recovered from a spin on lap 107 to round out the top five. Ben Lynch, Jimmy Hebert, Josh Masterson, Brent Dragon and Brandon Atkins finished off the top ten.
The 150-lap event was completed in just over 2 hours including a couple of rain delays. The event was slowed by 17 cautions.
The American Canadian Tour joins its sister series, the Série ACT, north of the border next Saturday, August 3 with a 150-lap event at Sanair Super Speedway in St-Pie, Quebec. The event will be the 10th of 14 ACT races scheduled for 2013.
St. Jude 150 Unofficial Results
American Canadian Tour
Devil’s Bowl Speedway – West Haven, VT
Sunday, July 28, 2013
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (1) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
2. (5) #Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 150 Laps
3. (11) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
4. (3) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 150 Laps
5. (14) #Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
6. (6) Ben Lynch, Huntersville, NC, 150 Laps
7. (4) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
8. (8) Josh Masterson, Bristol, VT, 150 Laps
9. (12) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 150 Laps
10. (19) #Brandon Atkins, Ausable Forks, NY, 150 Laps
11. (13) #Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 150 Laps
12. (2) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
13. (7) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 150 Laps
14. (20) Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT, 150 Laps
15. (10) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 149 Laps
16. (25) Chris Lacey, Burlington, VT, 148 Laps
17. (16) Daniel Petronis, Mechanicville, NY, 148 Laps
18. (17) Shawn Bodreau, Claremont, NH, 148 Laps
19. (22) John Falconi, Oakham, MA, 141 Laps
20. (21) Robert Bryant, Jr., Brooklyn, CT, 121 Laps
21. (15) #Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 120 Laps
22. (24) Blair Bessett, Worcester, VT, 102 Laps
23. (9) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 82 Laps
24. (18) Johnny Scarborough, Bomoseen, VT, 72 Laps
25. (23) Hunter Bates, Pittsford, VT, 70 Laps
Lap Leaders: Wayne Helliwell, Jr., 1-17; Ray Parent, 18-24; Helliwell, 25-28; Parent, 29-80; Helliwell, 81-82; Parent, 83; Helliwell, 84-93; Parent, 94-104; Helliwell, 105-150.
Time of Race: 2:02:39 (including red for rain 23:27)
Margin of Victory: 1.077 seconds
Cautions: 17 (laps 5, 14, 24, 28, 71, 80, 85, 87(rain), 87, 93 (red-rain), 104, 106, 107, 118, 121, 124, 146)
Heat Winners: Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Josh Masterson, Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.
Consi Winners: Jimmy Hebert