Contributed by: ACT Staff
Eddie MacDonald Holds Off Late Charge for Beech Ridge Win
Eddie “The Outlaw” MacDonald of Rowley, MA came from 11th on the field to take the win in the American Canadian Tour 150-lap event at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway on Saturday, August 17. MacDonald held off fierce competition over the final 13 lap sprint to take the victory.
MacDonald took over the lead from Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. after starting in the outside lane on a lap 131 restart. It looked like MacDonald would win easily until the fourth and final caution of the event flew on lap 137. This setup up the final battle with MacDonald and Polewarczyk on the front row followed by rookies Bobby Therrien and Travis Stearns.Therrien made a veteran move to the inside of MacDonald following the restart, kicking Polewarczyk back to third. The Rookie and the Outlaw battled with Therrien on the inside and MacDonald trying to keep him pinched down. The pair raced door-to-door with Therrien gaining the edge at the line for the lead on two laps. MacDonald kept the momentum on the outside and dispatched Therrien with two to go. It then turned into a three-way fight for the runner-up spot as Polewarczyk, Therrien and Stearns took the checkered flag three-wide.
Polewarczyk and Therrien got the edge to take second and third respectively. Stearns and Jimmy Hebert completed the top five. Ray Parent, Wayne Helliwell, Jr. and Dave Farrington, Jr. were the final three cars on the lead lap. Farrington led the first 111 laps of the event and lapped the majority of the field as the event went caution free from lap 6 til 124. He built a large lead before Polewarczyk caught him in heavy lapped traffic. Aaron Fellows and Ryan Deane completed the top ten.
With his win Eddie MacDonald earns an invitation to the 5th Annual Bond Auto ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 21. MacDonald is a two-time Invitational winner including the inaugural event back in 2009.
The American Canadian Tour heads back north of the border next Saturday, August 24 for the 11th event of their 14 event 2013 schedule. They will visit Circuit Riverside Speedway in St-Croix, Quebec for the Riverside Can-Am 200. It is a combination race with sister series, Série ACT Castrol.
Beech Ridge 150
American Canadian Tour
Beech Ridge Motor Speedway – Scarborough, ME
Saturday, August, 17, 2013
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (11) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 150 Laps
2. (5) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
3. (12) #Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
4. (10) #Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 150 Laps
5. (6) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
6. (7) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
7. (3) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
8. (1) Dave Farrington, Jr., Jay, ME, 150 Laps
9. (19) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH, 149 Laps
10. (15) Ryan Deane, Winterport, ME, 149 Laps
11. (13) Derek Ming, West Burke, VT, 149 Laps
12. (2) Quinten Welch, Lancaster, NH, 149 Laps
13. (9) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 149 Laps
14. (22) Cris Michaud, E. Montpelier, VT, 148 Laps
15. (14) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 148 Laps
16. (8) Ben Lynch, Huntersville, NC, 148 Laps
17. (23) Joe Curioso, Mystic, CT, 147 Laps
18. (16) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 147 Laps
19. (24) Ricky Bly, Sunapee, NH, 146 Laps
20. (18) Jimmy Linardy, Somerville, MA, 146 Laps
21. (25) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 139 Laps
22. (20) Brockton Davis, Whitefield, NH, 136 Laps
23. (4) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 124 Laps
24. (17) Bobby Pelland, Cranston, RI, 6 Laps
25. (21) Doug Coombs, Livermore, ME, 6 Laps
Lap Leaders: Dave Farrington, Jr., 1-111; Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., 112-131; Eddie MacDonald, 132-137; Bobby Therrien, 138-139; MacDonald, 140-150.
Time of Race: 1:00:24
Margin of Victory: .457 seconds
Cautions: 4 (laps 6, 124, 131, 137)
Heat Winners: Travis Stearns, Eddie MacDonald, Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.
Consi Winners: Dave Farrington, Jr.