Contributed by: ACT Staff
Kyle Welch Scores First ACT Win at Riverside
Kyle Welch of Newport, NH earned his first career American Canadian Tour win at Riverside Speedway in Groveton, NH on Saturday, June 7. Welch inherited the win after apparent winner Eddie MacDonald was penalized for a post race tech infraction. MacDonald was penalized to the last car on the lead lap in 11th place.
Wayne Helliwell, Jr. took the early lead from the outside pole, but was quickly overtaken by Emily Packard on lap 20. Packard would lead the majority of the event, which saw no cautions during its 150 laps. Welch closed the gap on Packard’s lead and took the point with just 15 laps to go.
Welch didn’t hold the lead for long as apparent winner MacDonald got by him to lead the final eight laps of the event. MacDonald was later penalized in post race tech for too many spring rubbers in his right rear spring.
Welch inherited the win, while Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. came from the 13th starting position to claim second and Helliwell took third. Rookie Brandon Atkins ran up front all day and took fourth followed by Packard completing the top five. Ben Ashline, Mike Kenison, Ray Parent, Randy Potter and Larry Gelinas rounded out the top ten.
The 150-lap event was completed caution free in just over 36 minutes. A total of 24 of the 26 starters were on the track for the checkered flag with 11 of them on the lead lap. There were 31 cars in attendance who attempted to qualify.
Welch becomes the fourth different American Canadian Tour in the four events so far this season. He pockets the $1,000 bonus and a starting spot in the Bond Auto ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 20.
The American Canadian Tour heads to Devil’s Bowl Speedway in West Haven, VT next Sunday, June 15 for the previously postponed Spring Green 114. It will be their fifth event of the 2014 season.
American Canadian Tour Unofficial Results
Central Asphalt Paving 150
Riverside Speedway – Groveton, NH
Saturday, June 7, 2014
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (8) Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 150 Laps
2. (13) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
3. (2) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
4. (4) #Brandon Atkins, AuSable Forks, NY, 150 Laps
5. (1) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 150 Laps
6. (23) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 150 Laps
7. (18) Mike Kenison, Lancaster,NH, 150 Laps
8. (10) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
9. (6) Randy Potter, Groveton, NH, 150 Laps
10. (3) Larry Gelinas, Buxton, ME, 150 Laps
11. (7) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 150 Laps
12. (9) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 149 Laps
13. (14) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 149 Laps
14. (5) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH, 149 Laps
15. (20) Corey Mason, Groveton, NH, 149 Laps
16. (11) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 149 Laps
17. (17) #Mike Ziter, Williamstown, VT, 149 Laps
18. (16) Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 149 Laps
19. (19) Luke Shannon, Groveton, NH, 148 Laps
20. (12) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 148 Laps
21. (15) Bryan Mason, Stark, NH, 148 Laps
22. (21) Brandon Lambert, Colebrook, NH, 148 Laps
23. (24) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 148 Laps
24. (25) #Matt Anderson, Franklin, NH, 148 Laps
25. (22) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 15 Laps
26. (26) #Brian Tagg, Oxford, MA, 5 Laps
Lap Leaders: Wayne Helliwell, Jr., 1-19; Emily Packard, 20-134; Kyle Welch, 135-141; Eddie MacDonald, 142-150.
Time of Race: 36:07
Margin of Victory: 1.5 car lengths
Heat Winners: Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Todd Davis, Bryan Mason, Brandon Atkins
Consi Winners: Larry Gelinas, Mike Kenison
B Feature: Ben Ashline