Nick Sweet Snags ACT Victory at Beech Ridge
Barre’s Nick Sweet became the 7th different American Canadian Tour winner in the 7th event of the 2014 season when the tour visited Beech Ridge Motor Speedway in Scarborough, ME on Saturday, August 9. Sweet led for the majority of the event, but not without fierce contention and multiple lead changes with runner-up finisher Ben Ashline.
Ashline slipped out of the lead after starting on the pole with a plus five in ACT’s unique plus/minus handicap system. Outside pole sitter Stephane Descoste of Oka, Quebec led through the early stages of the event until Sweet took over on the 24th circuit. Sweet made the charge from his 8th place starting position and built a comfortable lead once he reached the point.
Sweet’s lead quickly evaporated when the third caution flag flew on lap 77. Ashline started to Sweet’s outside on the ensuing restart and the pair stayed door-to-door for the next 30 laps. They swapped the lead multiple times including seven official lead changes at the start/finish line during that time. Ashline finally edged by on the outside and Sweet fell in line until the final caution flag of the event on lap 110.
On the final restart, Sweet used the outside lane to gain the advantage and the lead for good. He built a sizable lead over the final forty laps and claimed his fourth career American Canadian Tour win. Ashline held on for second, while current ACT point leader Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. spent the majority of the race looking for room to get around the front pair, but had to settle for third. Eddie MacDonald came from the ninth starting spot to take fourth and Jimmy Hebert claimed fifth. Rowland Robinson, Jr., Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Travis Fadden, Stephane Descoste, and Brad Babb completed the top ten.
The 150 lap event was completed in 57 minutes and 40 seconds with 10 official lead changes and just five cautions. A total of 15 of the 28 car field were on the lead lap when the checkered flag flew.
Sweet had already qualified for the Bond ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 20 with his VT Governor’s Cup win at Thunder Road back in July. His win at Beech Ridge adds an extra $500 to his previously $1,000 bonus for the event.
The American Canadian Tour has next weekend off before heading to Circuit Riverside Speedway in St-Croix, QC on Saturday, August 23 for the Can-Am 200. It will be the 8th event on the 2014 schedule and a combination race with ACT’s sister series, the Série ACT.
ACT Beech Ridge 150 Unofficial Results
Beech Ridge Motor Speedway – Scarborough, ME
Saturday, August 9, 2014
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (8) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 150 Laps
2. (1) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 150 Laps
3. (4) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
4. (9) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 150 Laps
5. (3) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
6. (6) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 150 Laps
7. (16) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
8. (18) Travis Fadden, No. Haverhill, NH, 150 Laps
9. (2) Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 150 Laps
10. (13) Brad Babb, Windham, NH, 150 Laps
11. (14) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 150 Laps
12. (7) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
13. (17) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
14. (10) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 150 Laps
15. (27) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 150 Laps
16. (12) Jim Morris, Barre, VT, 149 Laps
17. (20) Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 149 Laps
18. (15) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH, 149 Laps
19. (19) Ryan Morgan, Mystic, CT, 148 Laps
20. (24) #Mike Ziter, Williamstown, VT, 148 Laps
21. (21) #Brandon Atkins, AuSable Forks, NY, 148 Laps
22. (23) #Matt Anderson, Franklin, NH, 142 Laps
23. (28) Richard Staskowski, Hope Valley, RI, 100 Laps
24. (22) #Brian Tagg, Oxford, MA, 95 Laps
25. (25) Jimmy Linardy, Somerville, MA, 94 Laps
26. (11) #A.J. Panessiti, Barnstead, NH, 62 Laps
27. (26) #John Falconi, Oakham, MA, 41 Laps
28. (5) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 3 Laps
Lap Leaders: Ben Ashline, 1; Stephane Descoste, 2-23; Nick Sweet, 24-77; Ashline, 78; Sweet, 79-98; Ashline, 99; Sweet, 100-102; Ashline, 103; Sweet, 104; Ashline, 105-111; Sweet, 112-150.
Time of Race: 57:40
Margin of Victory: 0.688 seconds
Cautions: 5 (laps 1, 4, 77, 77, 110)
Heat Winners: Jimmy Hebert, Nick Sweet, Ben Ashline