Polewarczyk Aces the Field at Oxford PlainsAmerican-Canadian Tour (ACT) Late Model Champion Joey Polewarczyk Jr. began his title defense in the best way possible at the Oxford Plains Speedway in Oxford, ME on Sunday, April 19. The Hudson, NH driver led every step of the way en route to the victory in the Oxford 150 as part of the first ever ACT/PASS doubleheader.
Three cautions for minor incidents slowed the event and allowed the field to close in on Pole. The final caution, caused by Kyle Welch’s slide off the top of turn 3 with 13 laps to go, gave two-time ACT Champion Wayne Helliwell Jr. his chance at the win. Dover, NH’s Helliwell got underneath Sweet for second on the ensuing restart and stayed glued to Pole’s bumper for the remainder of the race. However, Pole was able to hold him off and take the win.
Helliwell finished second, followed by Sweet in third. East Montpelier, VT youngster Emily Packard drove from the 20th starting position to finish fourth. Jimmy Hebert, former Oxford Champion Jeff White, Stearns, Mike Ziter, rookie Rich Dubeau, and Série ACT regular Jonathan Bouvrette rounded out the top-10. Heat race wins went to Pole, Rowland Robinson Jr., and Brad Babb.
The event was seen by one of the biggest Opening Day crowds in the history of the 3/8-mile speedway. In addition to the ACT Late Models and Pro All Stars Series (PASS) North Super Late Models being united for the first time, it was the first time ACT had visited the track since 2012, when Pole was the victor in the Oxford 250.
“I’m very happy for Tom Mayberry and Oxford Plains Speedway,” ACT President Tom Curley said. “We’re excited about the positive response from the fans, and we’re looking forward to the upcoming doubleheader events at Barre, VT’s Thunder Road in May and at Plattsburgh, NY’s Airborne Park Speedway in July.”
“We’re very glad that the event was as successful as it was,” PASS President Tom Mayberry added. “The cooperation from both parties made this possible, and the momentum and buzz gives us something to build on.”
The ACT Tour now heads to the Lee USA Speedway in Lee, NH for the New Hampshire Governor’s Cup 150 on Sunday, April 26. 2014 event winner Eddie MacDonald will attempt to defend his title against Polewarczyk, Helliwell, and the rest of the ACT Late Model stars. Post time is 1:00pm.
ACT Oxford 150 – Unofficial Results
Pos Start Pos Driver Hometown Laps
1. ( 1 ) Joey Polewarczyk Jr. , Hudson, NH , 150 Laps
2. ( 9 ) Wayne Helliwell Jr. , Dover, NH , 150 Laps
3. ( 2 ) Nick Sweet , Barre, VT , 150 Laps
4. ( 20 ) Emily Packard , E. Montpelier, VT , 150 Laps
5. ( 4 ) Jimmy Hebert , Williamstown, VT , 150 Laps
6. ( 7 ) Jeff White , Winthrop, ME , 150 Laps
7. ( 3 ) Travis Stearns , Auburn, ME , 150 Laps
8. ( 13 ) Mike Ziter , Barre Town, VT , 150 Laps
9. ( 26 ) #Rich Dubeau , Plainfield, NH , 150 Laps
10. ( 8 ) Jonathan Bouvrette , Blainville, QC , 150 Laps
11. ( 21 ) Brandon Atkins , AuSable Forks, NY , 150 Laps
12. ( 5 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. , Steuben, ME , 150 Laps
13. ( 14 ) Corey Mason , Groveton, NH , 150 Laps
14. ( 10 ) Larry Gelinas , Buxton, ME , 149 Laps
15. ( 11 ) Aaron Fellows , Croyden, NH , 149 Laps
16. ( 17 ) Jeremy Welch , Lebanon, ME , 149 Laps
17. ( 25 ) Glen Martel , Belmont, NH , 149 Laps
18. ( 15 ) Ray Parent , Tiverton, RI , 149 Laps
19. ( 16 ) Quinny Welch , Lancaster, NH , 149 Laps
20. ( 18 ) Bryan Mason , Stark, NH , 148 Laps
21. ( 22 ) Robert Pelland , Cranston, RI , 147 Laps
22. ( 24 ) James Linardy , Somerville, MA , 147 Laps
23. ( 12 ) Matt Anderson , Franklin, NH , 146 Laps
24. ( 6 ) Brad Babb , Windham, ME , 145 Laps
25. ( 19 ) Kyle Welch , Newport, NH , 137 Laps
26. ( 23 ) Boomer Morris , Barre, VT , 39 Laps
Lap Leaders: Polewarczyk Jr. 1-150
Time of Race: 1:03:35 Margin of Victory: 0.346 seconds
Cautions: 3 (laps 31, 106, 137)
Heat Winners: Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Rowland Robinson Jr., Brad Babb