Helliwell Shows The Way at Lee USA Governor’s CupWayne Helliwell Jr. came out on top of a battle with fellow home track driver Eddie MacDonald to win the American-Canadian Tour (ACT) New Hampshire Governor’s Cup 150 on Sunday at Lee USA Speedway in Lee, NH.
“We were able to cool our tires down and just crowd (MacDonald) down on that restart,” said Helliwell, who unofficially assumed the point lead following the event. “That helped us get the momentum and the drive up off the turn. Once we got to the lead, we were able to just keep the car on the bottom and roll around.
“This win definitely means a lot,” the two-time ACT Tour Champion added. “This was a great day. From where we started off in practice yesterday with a motor skip and all sorts of issues, to end up in victory lane is great.”
Helliwell started on the pole and led the first 77 circuits, holding off a pack that included Jeff White, MacDonald, Rowland Robinson Jr., Nick Sweet, and Rich Dubeau. Winthrop, ME’s White edged ahead of Helliwell on a lap 78 restart, but Helliwell dove back underneath him four laps later.
With rain threatening in the area, Rowley, MA’s MacDonald made his move, driving around the outside of Helliwell to take the lead on lap 93. Unwilling to surrender, Helliwell got to MacDonald’s outside and the two swapped the lead multiple times over the following circuits. Polewarczyk’s misfortune, the seventh of nine cautions that slowed the event, setting up Helliwell’s winning pass.
Babb got underneath MacDonald on the final restart, but was unable to chase down Helliwell and settled for second. MacDonald came in third, followed by defending Série ACT Champion Alex Labbe and Travis Fadden. Larry Gelinas, White, Kyle Welch, Polewarczyk, and Sweet completed the top-10.
Heat race wins went to Fadden, Babb, and MacDonald. Travis Stearns won the consolation race.
The ACT Tour heads to Barre, VT’s Thunder Road for the 17th annual Merchants Bank 150 on Sunday, May 3. Post time is 1:00pm. The annual Thunder Road Car Show will be held on Saturday, May 2 from 9:00am-12:00pm followed by the stock car parade to the track.
ACT NEW HAMPSHIRE GOVERNOR’S CUP 150
Pos Start Pos Driver Hometown Laps
1. ( 1 ) Wayne Helliwell Jr. , Dover, NH , 150 Laps
2. ( 7 ) Brad Babb , Windham, ME , 150 Laps
3. ( 3 ) Eddie MacDonald , Rowley, MA , 150 Laps
4. ( 10 ) Alex Labbe , St-Albert, QC , 150 Laps
5. ( 6 ) Travis Fadden , No. Haverhill, NH , 150 Laps
6. ( 20 ) Larry Gelinas , Buxton, ME , 150 Laps
7. ( 2 ) Jeff White , Winthrop, ME , 150 Laps
8. ( 14 ) Kyle Welch , Newport, NH , 150 Laps
9. ( 12 ) Joey Polewarczyk Jr. , Hudson, NH , 150 Laps
10. ( 5 ) Nick Sweet , Barre, VT , 150 Laps
11. ( 4 ) #Rich Dubeau , Plainfield, NH , 150 Laps
12. ( 16 ) Corey Mason , Groveton, NH , 150 Laps
13. ( 8 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. , Steuben, ME , 150 Laps
14. ( 17 ) Travis Stearns , Auburn, ME , 150 Laps
15. ( 9 ) Emily Packard , E. Montpelier, VT , 150 Laps
16. ( 18 ) Todd Davis , Claremont, NH , 150 Laps
17. ( 26 ) Matt Anderson , Franklin, NH , 150 Laps
18. ( 11 ) Brandon Atkins , AuSable Forks, NY , 149 Laps
19. ( 21 ) Aaron Fellows , Croyden, NH , 141 Laps
20. ( 19 ) James Linardy , Somerville, MA , 121 Laps
21. ( 27 ) Mike Ziter , Barre Town, VT , 93 Laps
22. ( 23 ) Tom Carey Jr. , New Salem, MA , 93 Laps
23. ( 24 ) Mike Bailey , S. Barre, VT , 81 Laps
24. ( 22 ) A.J. Panessiti , Barnstead, NH , 71 Laps
25. ( 25 ) Miles Chipman , Nottingham, NH , 53 Laps
26. ( 15 ) Jimmy Hebert , Williamstown, VT , 42 Laps
27. ( 13 ) Dave Farrington, Jr. , Jay, ME , 28 Laps
Lap Leaders: Wayne Helliwell Jr., 1-77; Jeff White, 78-81; Wayne Helliwell Jr., 82-92; Eddie MacDonald, 93-106; Wayne Helliwell Jr., 107-109; Eddie MacDonald, 110-117; Wayne Helliwell Jr., 118-150 (6 lead changes among 3 drivers)
Time of Race: 1:17:02 Margin of Victory: 0.426 seconds
Cautions: 9 (laps 28, 42, 53, 77, 93, 93, 117, 120, 121)
Heat Winners: Travis Fadden, Brad Babb, Eddie MacDonald
Consi Winners: Travis Stearns