Polewarczyk Wins “Battle of the Border” With Laperle at Airborne Spring GreenHudson, NH’s Joey Polewarczyk Jr. came out on top of a battle with St-Denis, QC’s Patrick Laperle to win the American-Canadian Tour (ACT) Spring Green 115 at Airborne Park Speedway in Plattsburgh, NY on Sunday.
Defending ACT Late Model Tour Champion “Joey Pole” took the lead from Laperle on lap 82 and led the rest of the way in the ACT U.S. and Série ACT combination event. Pole had lost the top spot to Laperle on a lap 44 restart, but stalked him for nearly 40 laps and eventually came away with his second win of the season and second straight ACT victory at Airborne.
“Anytime you have to battle Patrick, it’s tough,” Pole said. “He races me with so much respect and I try to give him the same. He got me on that restart on lap 44, and it was definitely nerve-wracking trying to get back by him…we got it inch by inch and kept working the inside and were finally able to get by.”
Bristol, VT’s Josh Masterson started on the pole and pulled away early as Pole got locked into a battle with Travis Stearns for second. Pole eventually cleared Stearns and reeled in Masterson, taking the lead for the first time on lap 25.
A trio of caution flags from laps 42 to 44 allowed defending ACT International winner Laperle to draw up to Pole, and the multi-time ACT champion got the jump off the outside on the race’s third and final restart. Pole dropped back a few car lengths initially, but then ran in Laperle’s shadow, looking first high and then low as the two drew away from the field.
Pole finally got underneath Laperle with 34 laps remaining. Although Laperle was able to close back in as they worked lapped traffic, Pole ran away in open race track in the final laps to take the win.
Laperle settled for second, with Stearns earning his first podium finish of the year in third. Bobby Therrien came in fourth, followed by Quebec’s Jean-Francois Dery in fifth. Wayne Helliwell Jr., Brian Hoar, Rowland Robinson Jr., Nick Sweet, and Jeff White completed the top-10.
The ACT Tour next heads to Speedway 51 in Groveton, NH on Saturday, May 30 for the Lil Joey Memorial/Generation Next 151. Post time for the track’s season opener is 5:30pm. ACT returns to Airborne on Saturday, July 18 and Sunday, July 19 for the 3rd Annual ACT International 500. Both the ACT Late Models and the Pro All Stars Series Super Late Models will run $10,000-to-win, 200-lap events as part of the doubleheader.
ACT Late Model Tour
Bill McBride Chevrolet Spring Green 115 presented by Interstate Batteries
Pos Start Pos Driver Car # Hometown Laps
1. ( 3 ) Joey Polewarczyk Jr. ( 97NH ) , Hudson, NH , 115 Laps
2. ( 5 ) Patrick Laperle ( 91QC ) , St-Denis, QC , 115 Laps
3. ( 2 ) Travis Stearns ( 16ME ) , Auburn, ME , 115 Laps
4. ( 8 ) Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) , Hinesburg, VT , 115 Laps
5. ( 12 ) Jean-Francois Dery ( 21QC ) , Quebec, QC , 115 Laps
6. ( 13 ) Wayne Helliwell Jr. ( 27NH ) , Dover, NH , 115 Laps
7. ( 11 ) Brian Hoar ( 37VT ) , Williston, VT , 115 Laps
8. ( 4 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 115 Laps
9. ( 14 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 115 Laps
10. ( 7 ) Jeff White ( 50ME ) , Winthrop, ME , 115 Laps
11. ( 6 ) Brandon Atkins ( 4NY ) , AuSable Forks, NY , 115 Laps
12. ( 1 ) Josh Masterson ( 11NY ) , Bristol, VT , 115 Laps
13. ( 16 ) Brad Babb ( 15NH ) , Windham, ME , 115 Laps
14. ( 18 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Newport, NH , 114 Laps
15. ( 10 ) Emily Packard ( 9ME ) , E. Montpelier, VT , 114 Laps
16. ( 24 ) Patrick Cliché ( 5QC ) , Levis, QC , 114 Laps
17. ( 15 ) #Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Plainfield, NH , 114 Laps
18. ( 29 ) Dany Trepanier ( 19QC ) , St-Edourard, QC , 114 Laps
19. ( 19 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre Town, VT , 114 Laps
20. ( 21 ) Claude Leclerc ( 11QC ) , Lanoraie, QC , 114 Laps
21. ( 9 ) Karl Allard ( 48QC ) , St-Felicien, QC , 114 Laps
22. ( 27 ) Gaetan Gaudreault ( 38QC ) , Quebec, QC , 113 Laps
23. ( 25 ) Matt Anderson ( 49NH ) , Franklin, NH , 113 Laps
24. ( 20 ) Bucko Branham ( 20NY ) , Plattsburgh, NY , 105 Laps
25. ( 22 ) Larry Gelinas ( 91CT ) , Buxton, ME , 94 Laps
26. ( 26 ) Charles Harvey ( 77QC ) , Terrebonne, QC , 80 Laps
27. ( 23 ) Jonathan Bouvrette ( 41QC ) , Blainville, QC , 73 Laps
28. ( 17 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 42 Laps
DNS ( 28 ) Martin Goulet Jr. ( 83QC ) , Mascouette, QC , 0 Laps
Lap Leaders: Josh Masterson, 0; Travis Stearns, 1; Masterson, 2-24; Joey Polewarczyk Jr., 25-44; Patrick Laperle, 45-81; Polewarczyk, 82-115. Five lead changes among 4 drivers.
Time of Race: 51:37 Margin of Victory: 1.750 seconds
Cautions: 3 (laps 42, 44, 44)
Heat Winners: Patrick Laperle, Brandon Atkins, Jeff White
Consi Winners: Rowland Robinson Jr., Jean-Francois Dery