Contributed by: ACT Staff
Polewarczyk Takes Third Win of Season in People’s United Bank 100
Defending American-Canadian Tour (ACT) Champion Joey Polewarczyk Jr. took his third win of the season in the People’s United Bank 100 at Devil’s Bowl Speedway on Saturday, June 6.
Hudson, NH’s “Joey Pole” worked his way up from the seventh starting position and got inside Tour point leader Wayne Helliwell Jr. on lap 74 of the 100-lap event. Pole completed the pass a lap later and motored away to win a caution-free race.
“You never really expect a race to go caution-free, but with this Tour, it can happen,” Pole said. “100 laps is kind of a short race for us, so our plan was to try and get to the front as quick as we could. But in the beginning I was battling with Travis Stearns and couldn’t really make much ground. So I backed off for a little while, and finally said ‘let’s try it again’.
“The car really came into itself. I could not have asked for a better car.”
Helliwell jumped to the lead off the outside pole and led the first 24 laps. Polesitter Nick Sweet got underneath Helliwell for lead on lap 25, but the Dover, NH veteran returned the favor 11 laps later.
The two remained in tight formation as they negotiated lapped traffic. Sweet ducked inside of Helliwell on multiple occasions, but Helliwell was able to hold him at bay.
As the two dueled, Pole steadily made his way through the field, eventually catching the lead duo. Pole got around Sweet for second on lap 67 and found his way back to Helliwell’s bumper to set up the winning pass eight laps later.
Sweet finally got past Helliwell in the final laps to take second. Helliwell ended up third, but unofficially retains the point lead. Josh Masterson, Brad Babb, Dillon Moltz, Emily Packard, Brian Hoar, Kyle Welch, and Brandon Atkins rounded up the top-10.
Heat race wins went to Hoar, Rowland Robinson Jr., and Babb. Pole and Packard won the consis.
The ACT Tour will have a week off before returning to action with a 150-lap event at White Mountain Motorsports Park in N. Woodstock, NH on Saturday, June 20. Post time is 5:00pm.
PEOPLE’S UNITED BANK 100
Pos Start Pos Driver Car # Hometown Laps
1. ( 7 ) Joey Polewarczyk Jr. ( 97NH ) , Hudson, NH , 100 Laps
2. ( 1 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 100 Laps
3. ( 2 ) Wayne Helliwell Jr. ( 27NH ) , Dover, NH , 100 Laps
4. ( 5 ) Josh Masterson ( 11NY ) , Bristol, VT , 100 Laps
5. ( 11 ) Brad Babb ( 15NH ) , Windham, ME , 100 Laps
6. ( 12 ) Dillon Moltz ( 5CT ) , Waterford, CT , 100 Laps
7. ( 3 ) Emily Packard ( 9ME ) , E. Montpelier, VT , 100 Laps
8. ( 9 ) Brian Hoar ( 37VT ) , Williston, VT , 100 Laps
9. ( 14 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Newport, NH , 100 Laps
10. ( 8 ) Brandon Atkins ( 4NY ) , AuSable Forks, NY , 100 Laps
11. ( 16 ) Todd Davis ( 31NH ) , Claremont, NH , 100 Laps
12. ( 21 ) Jeff White ( 50ME ) , Winthrop, ME , 99 Laps
13. ( 22 ) #Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Plainfield, NH , 99 Laps
14. ( 18 ) Ray Parent ( 17RI ) , Tiverton, RI , 99 Laps
15. ( 4 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 99 Laps
16. ( 15 ) Arthur Heino Jr. ( 07ME ) , Newport, NH , 99 Laps
17. ( 10 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 99 Laps
18. ( 23 ) Robert Hagar ( 91VT ) , Windsor, VT , 99 Laps
19. ( 25 ) Tyler Cahoon ( 38VT ) , St. Johnsbury, VT , 99 Laps
20. ( 20 ) Chad White ( 8NY ) , Fort Ann, NY , 99 Laps
21. ( 19 ) Richard Lowery III ( 99NY ) , Charlotte, VT , 98 Laps
22. ( 17 ) Jeremy Zullo ( 46NH ) , Claremont, NH , 98 Laps
23. ( 26 ) Steve Miller ( 00NY ) , Vergennes, VT , 98 Laps
24. ( 13 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre Town, VT , 97 Laps
25. ( 24 ) Joe Curioso ( 38CT ) , Mystic, CT , 52 Laps
26. ( 6 ) Travis Stearns ( 16ME ) , Auburn, ME , 45 Laps
Lap Leaders: Nick Sweet, 0; Wayne Helliwell Jr., 1-24; Sweet, 25-35; Helliwell, 36-75; Joey Polewarczyk Jr., 76-100. 4 lead changes among 3 drivers.
Time of Race: 30:09 Margin of Victory: 2.917 seconds
Heat Winners: Brian Hoar, Rowland Robinson Jr., Brad Babb
Consi Winners: Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Emily Packard