Hoar Inherits Record 41st ACT Win in Fall Foliage 200
Williston, VT’s Brian Hoar scored his record 41st career American-Canadian Tour (ACT) victory in the Fall Foliage 200 at Airborne Park Speedway on Saturday, October 3.
Hoar crossed the finish line second but inherited the win after Patrick Laperle was disqualified in postrace technical inspection for a violation of ACT’s Koni shock rule. Laperle and Hoar had run side-by-side for a dozen laps in a thrilling duel following the race’s final restart on lap 182.
“I knew I was in for a battle,” Hoar said. “When I moved into second place and saw the caution came out, I knew that was my chance to get by Patrick. I was just hoping to have the cleanest tires and pull off a pass on the back straightaway. We just couldn’t do it – we were a little too tight. It was an awesome battle though; I love that kind of racing.”
St-Edouard, QC’s Dany Trépanier finished ninth to clinch the 2015 Série ACT Championship in their season finale. It is Trépanier’s first title in his sixth full season of competition with Série ACT.
"This is a beautiful series,” Trépanier said. “That’s why I love this series – you can win the championship with a low budget like we have. The crew has worked hard with me. We began at the bottom, and every year we’ve gotten better, and today we’re the champions.”
The ACT U.S. Tour battle took a major turn in the early going. Number-two point driver Joey Polewarczyk Jr. surged to the lead from the outside pole, but broke a left-front shock mount exiting turn two on lap 35 and was forced to retire from the event.
Laperle dominated the event after Polewarczyk fell by the wayside, leading a four-car battle with Alex Labbé, Bobby Therrien, and Wayne Helliwell Jr. in the race’s middle stages. Nick Sweet and Hoar eventually worked their way to the front while Helliwell was forced to pit during a lap-150 caution with a flat right-front tire. The final 50 laps became a mad scramble as Labbé, Sweet, and Hoar nosed ahead on various restarts, but Laperle eventually overpowered them each time.
Sweet finished second after starting 24th while Labbé completed the podium. Therrien finished fourth and Brandon Atkins came from last on the starting grid to finish fifth. Brad Babb, Helliwell, Jean-François Déry, Trépanier, and Jonathan Bouvrette completed the top-10. Helliwell’s recovery unofficially gives him a 42-point lead over Polewarczyk heading into the ACT U.S. Tour finale at Thompson Speedway on Saturday, October 17.
Waterbury, VT’s Jason Woodard triumphed in the Tiger Sportsmen-Renegade Twin 25s. Woodard won the first 25-lap segment, then picked his way through a series of cautions to finish second in the second segment.
Joe Steffen finished second overall, while Dylan Payea recovered from two incidents in the second segment to place third. The podium sweep helped give the Tiger Sportsmen the victory in the American Racer Team Challenge. Renegade drivers Jason MacClatchie and Kevin Boutin completed the top-five.
The cars and stars of the ACT Late Model Tour and Série ACT head to Thunder Road Speedbowl for the 53rd Northfield Savings Bank Milk Bowl. Booth Bros./H.P. Hood Qualifying Day on Saturday, October 10 at 1:30pm will feature time trials and “Triple 50” qualifying races to help set the 30-car starting field. The first of three segments in the historic event rolls to the grid at 1:00pm on Sunday, October 11.
FALL FOLIAGE 200
Pos, Start Pos, Driver, Car #, Hometown, Laps
1. ( 11 ) Brian Hoar ( 37VT ) , Williston, VT , 200 Laps
2. ( 24 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 200 Laps
3. ( 4 ) Alex Labbe ( 48QC ) , St-Albert, QC , 200 Laps
4. ( 9 ) Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) , Hinesburg, VT , 200 Laps
5. ( 29 ) Brandon Atkins ( 4NY ) , AuSable Forks, NY , 200 Laps
6. ( 20 ) Brad Babb ( 15NH ) , Windham, ME , 200 Laps
7. ( 12 ) Wayne Helliwell Jr. ( 27NH ) , Dover, NH , 200 Laps
8. ( 6 ) Jean-Francois Dery ( 21QC ) , Quebec, QC , 200 Laps
9. ( 18 ) Dany Trepanier ( 19QC ) , St-Edouard, QC , 200 Laps
10. ( 10 ) Jonathan Bouvrette ( 41QC ) , Blainville, QC , 200 Laps
11. ( 19 ) Todd Davis ( 31NH ) , Claremont, NH , 200 Laps
12. ( 8 ) Josh Masterson ( 11NY ) , Bristol, VT , 200 Laps
13. ( 15 ) Emily Packard ( 9ME ) , E. Montpelier, VT , 200 Laps
14. ( 17 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre Town, VT , 200 Laps
15. ( 13 ) Claude Leclerc ( 11QC ) , Lanoraie, QC , 200 Laps
16. ( 14 ) Donald Theetge ( 80QC ) , Boischatel, QC , 199 Laps
17. ( 7 ) #Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Plainfield, NH , 199 Laps
18. ( 28 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 198 Laps
19. ( 26 ) Charles Harvey ( 77QC ) , Terrebonne, QC , 198 Laps
20. ( 27 ) Martin Goulet Jr. ( 83QC ) , Mascouche, QC , 198 Laps
21. ( 25 ) Richard Lowery III ( 99NY ) , Charlotte, VT , 197 Laps
22. ( 23 ) Rich Lowrey Jr. ( 8VT ) , Charlotte, VT , 197 Laps
23. ( 3 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Newport, NH , 163 Laps
24. ( 22 ) Scott Dragon ( 1VT ) , Milton, VT , 148 Laps
25. ( 5 ) Jeff White ( 50ME ) , Winthrop, ME , 132 Laps
26. ( 16 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 87 Laps
27. ( 21 ) Patrick Cliché ( 5QC ) , Levis, QC , 71 Laps
28. ( 2 ) Joey Polewarczyk Jr. ( 97NH ) , Hudson, NH , 34 Laps
DNS Gaetan Gaudreault ( 38QC ) , Quebec, QC
DSQ Patrick Laperle ( 91QC ) , St-Denis, QC
Lap Leaders: Patrick Laperle, 0; Joey Polewarczyk Jr., 1-34; Laperle, 35-150; Alex Labbe, 151-153; Laperle, 154-163; Nick Sweet, 164-171; Laperle, 172-182; Brian Hoar, 183-187; Laperle, 188-200. (8 lead changes among 5 drivers)
Time of Race: 1:36:28 Margin of Victory: 0.184 seconds
Cautions: 5 (laps 34, 90, 150, 163, 182)
Heat Winners: Bobby Therrien, Jonathan Bouvrette, Joey Polewarczyk Jr.
Consi Winners: Dany Trepanier, Jimmy Hebert
AMERICAN RACER TEAM CHALLENGE
Pos, Driver, Car #, Hometown, Seg 1, Seg 2, Overall
1. Jason Woodard ( 68 ) Waterbury Ctr., VT 1 , 2 , 3
2. Joe Steffen ( 00 ) Grand Isle, VT 4 , 1 , 5
3. Dylan Payea ( 7 ) Milton, VT 2 , 6 , 8
4. Jason MacClatchie ( 70 ) Plattsburgh, NY 6 , 3 , 9
5. Kevin Boutin ( 23 ) Fairfax, VT 8 , 7 , 15
6. Ryan Boutin ( 28 ) Fairfax, VT 11 , 5 , 16
7. Brent Jarvis ( 32 ) Rouses Point, NY 3 , 13 , 16
8. Richie Turner ( 17 ) Milton, VT 5 , 12 , 17
9. Robert Gordon ( H2O ) Milton, VT 9 , 11 , 20
10. Michael Wright ( 78 ) Alburgh, VT 17 , 4 , 21
11. Tyler Terry ( 08 ) Morrisonville, NY 7 , 14 , 21
12. Jared Blake ( 9 ) North Hero, VT 14 , 8 , 22
13. Curt Giventer ( 2 ) Saranac, NY 15 , 9 , 24
14. Adam Maynard ( 25 ) Milton, VT 16 , 10 , 26
15. Mark Barnier ( 0 ) Essex Jct., VT 12 , 15 , 27
16. Shawn Duquette ( 18 ) Morrisonville, NY 10 , 17 , 27
17. Matt Monahan ( 71 ) Colchester, VT 13 , 16 , 29
Team Challenge: Tiger Sportsmen 69, Renegades 73