MacDonald Beats Sweet, Weather for Spring Green Win
Eddie MacDonald beat the best of the American-Canadian Tour (ACT) and the weather to boot on Saturday, May 14, passing Nick Sweet in the closing laps to win the 42nd Spring Green 116 at Plattsburgh, NY’s Airborne Park Speedway.
Rowley, MA’s MacDonald had worked from his 13th starting position into the top-5 when a rain shower just past the halfway point threatened to halt the event. But the rain eventually passed, and MacDonald made his move during the final green flag run, getting to the outside of Sweet with 11 laps remaining as the two worked through lapped traffic. MacDonald cleared Sweet a lap later and powered to his sixth career ACT Late Model Tour win.
Alex Labbe started on the pole and assumed the lead after an early back-and-forth battle with Brandon Atkins. Fellow Quebecer Patrick Laperle eventually reeled Labbe in on lap 36, with Sweet right behind.
Laperle and Sweet then proceeded to put on a thrilling duel, swapping the lead multiple times on a series of mid-race restarts that sandwiched the weather delay. Sweet gained command following the final restart on lap 69 and seemed in line for his second straight ACT win, but MacDonald proved to be too much in the final stages.
Sweet finished second to unofficially take over the ACT point lead after Bobby Therrien was involved in a midrace incident. Laperle came in third, followed by Atkins and Scott Payea. Labbe, Jimmy Hebert, Rowland Robinson Jr., Dillon Moltz, and Wayne Helliwell Jr. completed the top-10.
The event featured 13 lead changes among five drivers. Mike Ziter, Scott Dragon, and Brad Babb earn qualifying heat wins, while Dany Trepanier took the consi.
The ACT Late Model Tour heads to Connecticut’s Waterford Speedbowl this Saturday, May 21 for the first leg of the Southern New England Tripleheader. Post time for the 100-lap event is 5:30pm.
ACT LATE MODEL TOUR
SPRING GREEN 116
Pos, Start Pos, Driver, Car #, Hometown, Laps
1. ( 13 ) Eddie MacDonald ( 17MA ) , Rowley, MA , 116 Laps
2. ( 6 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 116 Laps
3. ( 3 ) Patrick Laperle ( 91QC ) , St-Denis, QC , 116 Laps
4. ( 2 ) Brandon Atkins ( 4NY ) , AuSable Forks, NY , 116 Laps
5. ( 11 ) Scott Payea ( 37VT ) , Miton, VT , 116 Laps
6. ( 1 ) Alex Labbe ( 48QC ) , St-Albert, QC , 116 Laps
7. ( 16 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 116 Laps
8. ( 8 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 116 Laps
9. ( 14 ) Dillon Moltz ( 5CT ) , Waterford, CT , 116 Laps
10. ( 12 ) Wayne Helliwell, Jr. ( 27NH ) , Dover, NH , 116 Laps
11. ( 10 ) Scott Dragon ( 16VT ) , Milton, VT , 116 Laps
12. ( 21 ) Todd Davis ( 34NH ) , Claremont, NH , 116 Laps
13. ( 17 ) Luke Hinkley ( 31NH ) , Claremont, NH , 116 Laps
14. ( 26 ) #Devin O'Connell ( 1VT ) , Madison, CT , 116 Laps
15. ( 7 ) Josh Masterson ( 11NY ) , Charlotte, VT , 115 Laps
16. ( 18 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Newport, NH , 115 Laps
17. ( 22 ) Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Lebanon, NH , 115 Laps
18. ( 23 ) #Ryan Olsen ( 61NH ) , N. Haverhill, NH , 115 Laps
19. ( 5 ) Brad Babb ( 15NH ) , Windham, ME , 115 Laps
20. ( 20 ) Emily Packard ( 9ME ) , E. Montpelier, VT , 115 Laps
21. ( 19 ) Jonathan Bouvrette ( 41QC ) , Blainville, QC , 115 Laps
22. ( 25 ) Gaetan Gaudreault ( 38QC ) , Quebec, QC , 114 Laps
23. ( 29 ) #Mark Jenison ( 22RI ) , Warwick, RI , 114 Laps
24. ( 24 ) Matt Anderson ( 49NH ) , Franklin, NH , 114 Laps
25. ( 27 ) Claude Leclerc ( 11QC ) , Lanoraie, QC , 113 Laps
26. ( 28 ) Mark Hudson ( 82MA ) , Norton, MA , 113 Laps
27. ( 4 ) Dany Trepanier ( 19QC ) , St-Edouard, QC , 93 Laps
28. ( 9 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre, VT , 53 Laps
29. ( 15 ) Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) , Hinesburg, VT , 50 Laps
Lap Leaders: Alex Labbe, 0; Brandon Atkins, 1; Alex Labbe, 2; Atkins, 3-5; Labbe, 6; Atkins, 7-8; Labbe, 9-35; Patrick Laperle, 36-49; Nick Sweet, 50; Laperle, 51-53; Sweet, 54-60; Laperle, 61-69; Sweet, 70-106; Eddie MacDonald, 107-116. (13 lead changes among 5 drivers)
Time of Race: 1:26:36 Margin of Victory: 0.925 seconds
Cautions: 6 (laps 5, 49, 50, 53, 60, 69)
Heat Winners: Mike Ziter, Scott Dragon, Brad Babb
Consi Winner: Dany Trepanier