Moltz Breaks Through in White Mountain 150
Dillon Moltz got the jump over Eddie MacDonald on a restart with 16 laps remaining and held on for his first career American-Canadian Tour (ACT) victory in the “Showdown in the Mountains” White Mountain 150 at N. Woodstock, NH’s White Mountain Motorsports Park on Sunday, July 24.
The Waterford, CT driver, who is in his first full season competing on the ACT Late Model Tour, dominated the middle stages of the event before MacDonald got around him following the race’s fifth caution on lap 96. MacDonald maintained the top spot through a lap 119 restart, but when the seventh and final caution came out for defending ACT Champion Wayne Helliwell, Jr’s flat right front tire on lap 134, Moltz was able to take advantage.
Bobby Therrien started on the pole and led the first five laps before surrendering the point to White Mountain Late Model point leader Quinny Welch. Therrien sped back by on lap 18, while Welch developed overheating problems shortly thereafter.
Moltz then grabbed the lead on a lap 23 restart drew away from a dogfight for second between Therrien, MacDonald, and Scott Payea, with Therrien eventual getting shuffled out on a three-wide scramble. Following a lap-67 caution, Moltz led a three-car breakaway with MacDonald and ACT point leader Nick Sweet, before Therrien developed problems and came to a stop against the turn one wall on lap 96, setting up the final sprint to the finish.
MacDonald settled for second, while Sweet took third. Sweet unofficially maintains the point lead by 14 points over Payea, who finished right behind him in fourth. Jimmy Hebert, Brandon Atkins, Mike Ziter, rookie Devin O’Connell, Brian Tagg, and Rowland Robinson, Jr. rounded out the top-10.
The ACT Late Model Tour will be back in action at Scarborough, ME’s Beech Ridge Motor Speedway on Saturday, August 6. Post time for the 10th event of the 13-race ACT season is 7:00pm.
ACT LATE MODEL TOUR
WHITE MOUNTAIN 150
Pos Start Pos Driver Car # Hometown Laps
1. ( 3 ) Dillon Moltz ( 5CT ) , Waterford, CT , 150 Laps
2. ( 6 ) Eddie MacDonald ( 17MA ) , Rowley, MA , 150 Laps
3. ( 8 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 150 Laps
4. ( 5 ) Scott Payea ( 37VT ) , Miton, VT , 150 Laps
5. ( 12 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 150 Laps
6. ( 10 ) Brandon Atkins ( 4NY ) , AuSable Forks, NY , 150 Laps
7. ( 23 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre, VT , 150 Laps
8. ( 20 ) #Devin O'Connell ( 1VT ) , Madison, CT , 150 Laps
9. ( 11 ) Brian Tagg ( 3MA ) , Oxford, MA , 150 Laps
10. ( 16 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 150 Laps
11. ( 9 ) #Ryan Olsen ( 61NH ) , N. Haverhill, NH , 150 Laps
12. ( 14 ) Jonathan Bouvrette ( 41QC ) , Blainville, QC , 150 Laps
13. ( 1 ) Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) , Hinesburg, VT , 150 Laps
14. ( 22 ) Luke Hinkley ( 31NH ) , Claremont, NH , 150 Laps
15. ( 19 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Newport, NH , 150 Laps
16. ( 7 ) Wayne Helliwell, Jr. ( 27NH ) , Dover, NH , 150 Laps
17. ( 15 ) Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Lebanon, NH , 150 Laps
18. ( 18 ) Tom Carey III ( 5MA ) , New Salem, MA , 149 Laps
19. ( 24 ) #Mark Jenison ( 22RI ) , Warwick, RI , 148 Laps
20. ( 30 ) Jonathan Lemay ( 4NH ) , Weare, NH , 148 Laps
21. ( 25 ) Jeff Marshall ( 32NH ) , Guildhall, NH , 147 Laps
22. ( 21 ) Bill Helliwell ( 49MA ) , Salem, NH , 147 Laps
23. ( 26 ) Matt Anderson ( 49NH ) , Franklin, NH , 147 Laps
24. ( 4 ) Corey Mason ( 1NH ) , Groveton, NH , 105 Laps
25. ( 13 ) Oren Remick ( 21NH ) , Warner, NH , 96 Laps
26. ( 27 ) Miles Chipman ( 0NH ) , Nottingham, NH , 66 Laps
27. ( 29 ) Mark Hudson ( 82MA ) , Norton, MA , 51 Laps
28. ( 2 ) Quinny Welch ( 78NH ) , Lancaster, NH , 41 Laps
29. ( 28 ) Todd Davis ( 34NH ) , Claremont, NH , 22 Laps
30. ( 31 ) Jim Zullo II ( 10NY ) , Claremont, NH , 16 Laps
31. ( 17 ) Russ Clark ( 55NH ) , Littleton, NH , 1 Laps
Lap Leaders: Bobby Therrien, 1-5; Quinny Welch, 6-17; Therrien, 18-22; Dillon Moltz, 23-96; Eddie MacDonald, 97-134; Moltz, 135-150. (5 lead changes among 4 drivers)
Time of Race: 1:01:32 Margin of Victory: 0.511 seconds
Cautions: 7 (laps 5, 17, 22, 67, 96, 134)
Heat Winners: Jimmy Hebert, Oren Remick, Bobby Therrien
Consi Winners: Dillon Moltz, Brandon Atkins