Contributed by: ACT Staff
Babb Repeats at Beech Ridge in Coastal 100
Brad Babb became the first ever multi-time American-Canadian Tour (ACT) Late Model winner at Scarborough, ME’s Beech Ridge Motor Speedway on Saturday, August 6, beating out rival Eddie MacDonald in the Coastal 100.
Windham, ME’s Babb, who was returning to ACT action for the first time following an incident with MacDonald at Seekonk Speedway in July, got under the Rowley, MA driver as the two worked through lapped traffic on lap 61 and was never headed the rest of the way. It was Babb’s first ACT Late Model Tour win of the season and second straight at Beech Ridge.
MacDonald started on the pole and led the first 21 laps. Babb got around him following a lap-20 caution for rookie Ryan Olsen’s spin in turn four, only for MacDonald to grab the lead back on the race’s second and final restart on lap 25 after Brandon Atkins went around exiting turn two.
But Babb didn’t let MacDonald get away, dogging him as the two drove off from the field. Although Babb, looked to MacDonald’s outside multiple times, MacDonald was able to hold him at bay until the two approached the lapped car of Bryan Mason on lap 61.
As MacDonald went to the outside entering turn three, Mason slipped up the track, allowing Babb to dart beneath. MacDonald shadowed Babb the rest of the event, making a final charge as the two worked through traffic in the closing circuits, but the former Beech Ridge Pro Series Champion would not be denied.
MacDonald settled for second, with Colchester, VT’s Scott Payea completing the podium. ACT leader Nick Sweet finished fourth, but unofficially extended his lead over Payea to 16 points after a photo-finish win in his heat race. MacDonald unofficially sits 20 points behind Sweet with three races remaining on the ACT Late Model Tour schedule.
Defending ACT Champion Wayne Helliwell, Jr. rounded out the top-five after a back-and-forth battle with Dillon Moltz, who took sixth. Bobby Therrien ,Rich Dubeau, former Beech Ridge Champion Dave Farrington, Jr., and Rowland Robinson, Jr. completed the top-10.
The ACT Late Model Tour continues its Maine swing Saturday, August 27 at Oxford Plains Speedway. The winner of the 100-lap event will receive a guaranteed starting spot in the 43rd annual Oxford 250 the following day. Post time is 5:00pm.
ACT LATE MODEL TOUR
Pos Start Pos Driver Car # Hometown Laps
1. ( 2 ) Brad Babb ( 15NH ) , Windham, ME , 100 Laps
2. ( 1 ) Eddie MacDonald ( 17MA ) , Rowley, MA , 100 Laps
3. ( 11 ) Scott Payea ( 37VT ) , Miton, VT , 100 Laps
4. ( 3 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 100 Laps
5. ( 4 ) Wayne Helliwell, Jr. ( 27NH ) , Dover, NH , 100 Laps
6. ( 6 ) Dillon Moltz ( 5CT ) , Waterford, CT , 100 Laps
7. ( 15 ) Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) , Hinesburg, VT , 100 Laps
8. ( 7 ) Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Lebanon, NH , 100 Laps
9. ( 18 ) Dave Farrington, Jr. ( 23ME ) , Jay, ME , 100 Laps
10. ( 12 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 99 Laps
11. ( 5 ) Travis Stearns ( 16ME ) , Auburn, ME , 99 Laps
12. ( 8 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre, VT , 99 Laps
13. ( 19 ) Luke Hinkley ( 31NH ) , Claremont, NH , 99 Laps
14. ( 14 ) #Devin O'Connell ( 1VT ) , Madison, CT , 99 Laps
15. ( 10 ) #Ryan Olsen ( 61NH ) , N. Haverhill, NH , 99 Laps
16. ( 16 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Newport, NH , 99 Laps
17. ( 17 ) Brandon Atkins ( 4NY ) , AuSable Forks, NY , 99 Laps
18. ( 20 ) Bryan Mason ( 10NH ) , Stark, NH , 98 Laps
19. ( 13 ) Cody Blake ( 99VT ) , Barre, VT , 98 Laps
20. ( 25 ) Mark Hudson ( 82MA ) , Norton, MA , 98 Laps
21. ( 26 ) #Mark Jenison ( 22RI ) , Warwick, RI , 98 Laps
22. ( 22 ) James Linardy ( 77MA ) , Somerville, MA , 97 Laps
23. ( 9 ) Miles Chipman ( 0NH ) , Nottingham, NH , 92 Laps
24. ( 23 ) Jeremy Welch ( 88ME ) , Lebanon, ME , 49 Laps
25. ( 24 ) Cornelius Flynn ( 24MA ) , Hampden, MA , 21 Laps
Lap Leaders: Eddie MacDonald, 1-21; Brad Babb, 22-25; MacDonald, 26-60; Babb, 61-100. (3 lead changes among 2 drivers)
Time of Race: 36:35 Margin of Victory: 0.626 seconds
Cautions: 2 (laps 20, 25)
Heat Winners: Mike Ziter, Nick Sweet, Wayne Helliwell Jr.
Consi Winner: Dillon Moltz