Payea Comes Back for the Win in the Wild Community Bank 150
Colchester’s Scott Payea was atop the pack when the dust settled on Sunday, June 11, coming from behind to score his second straight American-Canadian Tour (ACT) victory in the 19th Community Bank 150 at Barre’s Thunder Road.
Hinesburg’s Bobby Therrien appeared to have the race in hand, stretching out a lead as large as half a track after the leaders took on right-side tires during a lap-78 caution. But with 22 laps remaining, Therrien suddenly lost control entering turn 4 and went hard into the wall.
Payea, who had sustained significant body damage during a lap-29 melee, had fought his way back to second and inherited to lead with Therrien’s misfortune. He then held off Steuben, Me.’s Rowland Robinson Jr. over the final run to take his third Community Bank 150 win and 10th career ACT triumph.
Therrien started on the pole and held serve over Barre’s Nick Sweet and Waterford, Conn.’s Dillon Moltz during a rough-and-tumble first half of the event. Ten cautions flew during the first 78 laps, ranging from single-car incidents to multi-car pile-ups. The field came to pit road on lap-78 after Brooks Clark went head-on into the turn-four wall, which was converted into a planned competition caution.
Payea, who sat as low as 17th after getting caught up in a wreck when cars slowed for Cody Blake’s stalled machine, had worked back up to the third spot by this time. He then stalked Moltz for an extended period before getting around him just a few laps prior to Therrien’s crash.
Robinson Jr., with major body damage of his own from the same incident as Payea, matched his ACT career-best with a second-place finish. Moltz took third followed by Nick Sweet and Tyler Cahoon. Jason Corliss, Scott Dragon, Rich Dubeau, Oren Remick, and Jimmy Hebert also earned top-10 finishes.
The ACT Late Model Tour will be back in action at White Mountain Motorsports Park, North Woodstock, NH on Saturday, June 17, Post time is 5pm
ACT COMMUNITY BANK 150
Pos., Start Pos., Driver., Car #, Hometown, Laps
1. ( 12 ) Scott Payea ( 37VT ) , Colchester, VT , 150 Laps
2. ( 10 ) Rowland Robinson, Jr. ( 28ME ) , Steuben, ME , 150 Laps
3. ( 9 ) Dillon Moltz ( 5CT ) , Waterford, CT , 150 Laps
4. ( 7 ) Nick Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 150 Laps
5. ( 22 ) Tyler Cahoon ( 38VT ) , Danville, VT , 150 Laps
6. ( 8 ) #Jason Corliss ( 66VT ) , Barre, VT , 149 Laps
7. ( 11 ) Scott Dragon ( 16VT ) , Milton, VT , 149 Laps
8. ( 5 ) Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Lebanon, NH , 148 Laps
9. ( 15 ) Oren Remick ( 21NH ) , Warner, NH , 139 Laps
10. ( 4 ) Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT , 135 Laps
11. ( 1 ) Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) , Hinesburg, VT , 128 Laps
12. ( 6 ) Mike Ziter ( 54VT ) , Barre, VT , 127 Laps
13. ( 20 ) Kyle Pembroke ( 27VT ) , Montpelier, VT , 126 Laps
14. ( 13 ) Eric Badore ( 04VT ) , Milton, VT , 108 Laps
15. ( 21 ) Kyle Welch ( 9NH ) , Lempster, NH , 106 Laps
16. ( 23 ) Mark Hudson ( 82MA ) , Norton, MA , 83 Laps
17. ( 2 ) Marcel J. Gravel ( 86VT ) , Wolcott, VT , 82 Laps
18. ( 19 ) Brooks Clark ( 68VT ) , Fayston, VT , 77 Laps
19. ( 18 ) Eddie MacDonald ( 17MA ) , Rowley, MA , 65 Laps
20. ( 3 ) Josh Masterson ( 11NY ) , Charlotte, VT , 58 Laps
21. ( 16 ) Jonathan Bouvrette ( 41QC ) , Blainville, QC , 51 Laps
22. ( 24 ) Spencer Morse ( 34ME ) , Waterford, ME , 36 Laps
23. ( 17 ) Cody Blake ( 99VT ) , Barre, VT , 28 Laps
24. ( 25 ) Miles Chipman ( 0NH ) , Nottingham, NH , 8 Laps
25. ( 14 ) #Raymond L. Christian lll ( 93CT ) , Norwich, CT , 6 Laps
Lap Leaders: Bobby Therrien, 1-64; Dillon Moltz, 65-66; Therrien, 67-128; Scott Payea, 129-150. (3 lead changes among 3 drivers)
Time of Race: 1:29:29 Margin of Victory: 0.278 seconds
Cautions: 11 (laps 26, 29, 30, 41, 51, 59, 64, 64, 65, 78, 128)
Heat Winners: Rich Dubeau, Bobby Therrien, Mike Ziter